To keep the body in good health is a duty… otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear. ~Buddha
It is so true about the quote. To be able to enjoy whatever we are doing, first of all, we have to be responsible in preserving and protecting our health. Eating healthy doesn’t mean we have to put in a lot of hard work. It simply means making an effort to create something palatable in the best ability we can. Sometimes, the output may not be what you have in mind but it certainly gives you a new way of looking at how creative you can be.
For me, creativity is never in my dictionary but through lots of encouragement from my husband and friends, I have learnt to explore my own creativity through meals preparation. This journey has given me a new lens to look at the other side of me.
Below is a new experiment with steaming beetroot. I have always been just juicing beetroot so it’s a totally refreshing way of eating beetroot. Try it and you will probably love the sweetness of beets.
1/3 cup quinoa soaked at least half an hour before hand
1 small beetroot steamed with the skin on
1/4 cup purple cabbage shredded
1/4 cup carrot julienned
1/4 cup celery chopped
1/2 firm tofu cubed (can be omitted)
1 piece of lettuce
- Rinsed the quinoa and cook it with 2/3 of water and a pinch of salt.
- Steamed the beetroot with the skin on until tender. Then, cut it into cubes.
- Prepare all the other vegetables. Soaked for 30 mins before using. Leave them raw.
- Lightly fry the tofu and keep it aside.
- Cut the avocado and keep it aside.
- Mix in the tofu and beetroot once the quinoa is cooked.
- Lay the lettuce on the plate or bowl. Put the quinoa on the lettuce followed by all the other ingredients. Arrange anyway you like and your rainbow quinoa salad is ready.
It is healthy and easy to prepare. Have fun with your creation.