I had wanted to make a simple tempeh fried rice initially but I ended up making vegetable fried rice with tempeh as the side and tomatoes as garnish to make it more palatable.
1/3 cup brown rice
1 cup cabbage chopped
1 carrot shredded
Some curry leaves
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 inch ginger minced
1 tomato sliced
1/2 bell pepper diced
Sauce for the tempeh
1/4 cup tamari sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp brown rice syrup
For the fried rice
1. Soak the brown rice for at least half an hour. Cook the rice with 2/3 cup of water and a little bit more.
2. Heat up the wok. Lightly sauté the garlic, ginger and curry leaves for about 30 seconds then add in the carrot and cabbage. Continue to stir fry once in a while.
3. Add in the rice and continue to stir fry. Season it with salt.
For the tempeh
1. Cut the tempeh into thin slices. Fry them in coconut oil over medium heat until lightly brown on both side.
2. Reduce heat and add the sauce for tempeh. Keep stirring until the tempeh are all coated and the tempeh start to caramelised.
3. Add the bell pepper and stir fry for another 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Serve it with the fried rice.