Fried rice is always one of the easiest to prepare when you don’t have the luxury of time to cook a few dishes. ‘Fried’ sounds unhealthy? It doesn’t have to. Just manage the oil used in the cooking and load the rice with lots of different coloured vegetables like what I did. Give yourself a treat once a while, just don’t over do it and you are good.
1/3 cup matta red rice/brown rice (soaked at least 30 mins before cooking)
1/4 cup pumpkin diced
1/4 cup purple/white cabbage
1 carrot julienne (cut into strips)
a few broccoli florets
1/2 firm tofu cubed
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp coconut oil (other oil can be used)
1 heap tbsp miso mix with water (adjust according to taste)
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker or on the stove.
- In a pot of boiling water, lightly blanch the pumpkin and broccoli.
- Heat up a wok, add the coconut oil. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and let them cackle.
- Saute the carrots for a few mins then add the tofu and continue to stir fry so as to avoid burning.
- Add in the pumpkin, broccoli and the purple cabbage. Mix the vegetables up by lightly stir frying them.
- Finally, add in the cooked rice and mix it with the vegetables. Mix in the miso and adjust according to your taste.
The rainbow fried rice is ready to be served. I added the appalam/pappadam/papad just for fun. You can do without. Enjoy the simple colourful fried rice.